CANADIAN STUDY PERMIT
Every year about 100 000 students come to Canada to pursue their academic education. Many students come to study French and English. As Canada is culturally diverse country – foreign students contain an essential part in classrooms. However, Canadian law requires special permission for people who come from other countries to study here. Most of them must have Canadian Study Permit. Though, in some cases, this document is not required. VISAPP Immigration will guide you through the Canadian Study Permit Requirements and inform you about the necessity of getting this document, so you will have a bright idea about this process.
STUDY PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
Study Permit Application is the first step to obtain legal permission to pursue education in Canada and you must meet certain requirements which will make your stay eligible. They are the following:
- You must be admitted by the educational institution: school, college, or university
- You must have finances to pay for tuition fees, your living expenses and return transportation.
- You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal records.
- You must be healthy and willing to complete medical exam if it is required.
- You must leave Canada after your study permit expiry
WHEN STUDY PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED
However, there are proprieties due to which you do not need to apply for study permit. They are as follows:
- You do not need to have study permit if you take part in a short-term course or programme (which lasts 6 months or less). But if you are willing to continue studying in another programme after the course ends – it is recommended to apply for permit before you come to Canada even if one is not required.
- Study permit is not necessary if you are a member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. For this you should contact your embassy in Canada. After this, your embassy contacts with the Office of Protocol at Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada to find out if you are obliged to apply for study permit in Canada.
- You don’t need study permit if you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act. This however does not involve your family members including small children who want to pursue their studies in Canada. They must follow the requirements.
If your application for Canadian Study Permit is not submitted within the country, the processing time will depend on the location of the office where you submit your application. On average, the processing time takes between 2-13 weeks. However, most visa offices process the applications up to 1 month time. If the application was submitted within Canada, the process can take between 3-6 weeks.